This project has been initiated under the Fort Management Plan.
Listed and notified as a Grade II Heritage structure for Mumbai, the ornate Kothari Pyau was built in 1913 and donated to the then Bombay Municipal Corporation as a water trough for cattle and horses. As was the general practice then, the fountain was built as an act of philanthropy by Madhavdas Laxmidas Kothari in memory of his late parents, Laxmidas Jivandas and Nanibai Kothari.
Located on the edge of Azad Maidan near the Metro Cinema Junction in the Fort district, the old fountain stands near the intersection of the heavy pedestrian areas of Bombay Hospital, Fashion Street, Mahapallika Marg, Dhobi Talao and Kalbadevi.
The structure itself comprises of two symmetrical square ornamental fountains with a low basin in between to feed water to animals. Each of the fountains is decoratively treated with symmetrical four sides broadly divided into lower moulded plinth base, central portion with a projecting jharokha and top is a steep pyramid. In 1992, the Municipal Corporation, recognizing its convenient location, took up the work to turn this water trough for animals into a public drinking water fountain for citizens and a simple addition was built in between the original structures. However, the new construction was never put into use.