This project has been initiated under the Fort Management Plan.

Background
The 152 year old Fitzgerald Fountain and Lamp was erected by the Esplanade Committee in 1867 in honour of Sir William Robert Seymour Vesey-Fitzgerald, the Governor of Bombay from 1867 to 1872. The cast iron structure with a gas lamp and four fountains stands 35 feet high and was originally located at Metro Junction at Marine Lines, South Mumbai. The structure bears striking similarity to another fountain location in Market Square, Northampton, England which was erected in 1863 to commemorate the marriage of Prince Albert to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. The fountain was 45 feet high and 19 feet wide. This fountain was removed in 1962 due to vandalism.

Project Gallery :