CONSERVATION AFTER LEGISLATION Issues for Mumbai
“CONSERVATION AFTER LEGISLATION – Issues for Mumbai” is available for reference and purchase at UDRI Resource Centre.
This publication is based on the seminar titled ‘Conservation After Legislation’ held in April 2000, organised by the Max Mueller Bhavan, Mumbai and the Urban Design Research Institute.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- OPENING COMMENTS
- SESSION 1 : CONSERVATION LEGISLATION
- Conservation Legislation – Learning from Mumbai
- Conservation Legislation in Mumbai – Has it worked? And What next?
- Evaluating the Legislation and its impact
- Reconstruction of Cess Building
- PANEL DISCUSSION – EFFECTIVENESS OF THE LEGISLATION IN MUMBAI
- Chairperson: S.P. Shorey
- Panelists: D.M. Sukthankar, Jamsheed Kanga, Shirish Patel, Cyrus Guzder, Natubhai Badheka, G.S.Panthbalekundri and Shyam Chainani.
- SESSION 2 : POST – LEGISLATION ISSUSES
- Conservation and Community Participation – Mumbai’s Neighbourhoods
- Planning for Conservation
- Architectural Conservation after Legislation – An Overview
- MMR Heritage Conservation Society: MMRDA’s Initiative in Heritage Conservation
- The Role of the Government – Supporting Conservation in Ahmedabad
- PANEL DISCUSSION – CONSERVATION AND THE ROLE OF THE GOVERNMENT
- Chairperson: Jamsheed Kanga
- Panelists: BMS, BEST, MHADA, Traffic Police,Fire Department, Chief Architect Government of Maharashtra ,PWD, Bombay Port Trust And MMRDA.
- SESSION 3 : MAKING IT HAPPEN
- More Carrots – Financing Conservation
- Legislative Incentive for Heritage Conservation
- Heritage Tourism and the City
- Role of the NGO in the Life and Death of the Built Heritage of the City – The Case of Delhi Nalini Thakur
- Conservation and the Urban Development Process
- PANEL DISCUSSION I – THE ROLE OF THE PRESS & THE NGO’s
- Chairperson: Daryl D’Monte
- Panelists: Dev Mehta, Kisan Mehta, Gunvanthi Balaram, Shirin Bharucha, Ashish Singh, Sharada Dwivedi and Sachin Borkar.
- PANEL DISCUSSION II – INCENTIVE OPTIONS FOR HERITAGE CONSERVATION
- Chairperson: Nasser Munjee
- Panelists: G.S. Panthbalekundri, Michael A. Tomlan, R.R. Chari, Nayan Shah, D.T. Joseph and Debashish Nayak.
- CONCLUSING NOTES
- APPENDIX: THE TECHNOLOGY OF CONSERVATION
- Heritage Conservation – A Multidisciplinary Integrated Approach
- The Structural Engineer and the Stethoscope – How to listen to what a building is trying to tell us Sturat Tappin
- Appropriate Conservation Technologies for Mumbai
- Restoration of Mycological Damage in Historical Buildings