Associate Director (1 Opening)
UDRI is looking for a qualified candidate for the position of Associate Director. The eligible candidate will have an educational degree in Urban Planning and/or Development Planning (Masters preferred) and work experience of 1-2 years in the same.
The Associate Director will work with the Director of Projects and Director of Public Forum in managing UDRI’s projects and public outreach activities during the year. These activities are but not limited to: -
- Filing RTIs for the Development Plan and other projects currently underway at UDRI. Attending RTI hearings on behalf of UDRI.
- Arranging and coordinating meetings with stakeholders ranging from individuals, NGOs, public agency officials etc.
- Drafting project proposals with funding estimates for various projects on local and city levels
- Researching and developing solutions for urban issues through understanding of policy like MRTP Act.
- Writing reports for projects and studies
- Assembling and documenting project related research and public outreach related material for UDRI’s Annual Report.
- Developing budgets for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and compliance
- Other administrative activities as needed.
The candidate should have significant interest in civil governance and urban issues, public participation and non-profit administration. Proficiency in speaking and drafting in Marathi or Hindi is a plus in addition to a required competency in English. Candidates should also be able to demonstrate that they possess the following:
- Well-developed Research skills
- Designing and executing qualitative and quantitative public surveys.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Result orientation and budget awareness.
- Excellent organizational skills.
GIS Specialist (1 Opening)
UDRI is looking for a GIS specialist to take ownership of the GIS mapping platform, it is developing for its Information and Communications Infrastructure project. The qualified candidate will have an interest in urban planning issues and looking at GIS technologies (open source and licensed) to map and analyse these issues.
The candidate will have a degree in Geography/GIS with 2-3 years of work experience in a similar role and an interest in urban planning issues in Mumbai within a NGO setup. The candidate is expected to: -
- Create maps to support the project teams within UDRI.
- Analyze data using spatial tools like buffering, spatial summaries at various administrative levels like city, ward and corporator ward boundaries.
- Create queries and web interfaces to enable citizen interactions through the UDRI website.
- Be familiar with ESRI, Google and open source web and mobile GIS technologies that could be used for deployment to the general public.
- Assists staff in collecting and preparing GIS data/map for local and citywide planning projects.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS Desktop or other GIS software platform combined with cartography skills is a must.
- Should have creative skill to overlay data, excel tabulations and other statistical data on maps as well as integrate maps in presentations.
- Making presentations to stakeholders like NGOs, public agencies, municipal schools about role of technology and GIS in urban policy.
The GIS Specialist will report and work with the Executive Director in developing the GIS program vertical in UDRI. The person should possess competent knowledge in ESRI GIS, Google Maps, database management systems like Access or Oracle, .Net software development skills, Microsoft Office suite of products and Photoshop.
Research Interns (2 Openings)
The UDRI offers internship to fresh graduates looking to gain experience in urban research and advocacy in advance of post graduate study or further research. The minimum period of internship is nine to twelve months. Candidates applying for internship will receive a nominal stipend.
The applicants should be self motivated individuals able to work and think independently and deliver assignments to deadlines.